Sunday, May 5, 2013

Halves

Fail!
   This is a picture of a stick of butter I cut. Although I was not trying to be too precise at the time, I was trying to cut it in half. As you can see, I failed. 

   Unless I actually measure, I do this a lot. It's the same with Freezies, the long ones. I like to cut them in half and eat each half separately. Quite often (as a visual exercise) I try to be as precise as possible when cutting them, so that I get equal portions. The end result is always the same and quite resembles the two butter sticks.
   What has happened when you see a result like this is that two mistakes, rather than just one, have actually been made. You have cut one portion too long and you've cut the other portion too short, all in one fell swoop.
   When we have two kids who both want part of the same thing, we have one kid cut it and the other kid pick the portion he wants. I love the beauty of this, it's a very self-governing kind of arrangement which takes very little parental involvement. Of course, I would want to be the kid choosing the portion, if at all possible, for the above reasons.
   Wouldn't it be nice if international disputes over land claims could be settled the same way? One country could draw the dividing line and the other country could pick the parcel of land it preferred. Can you imagine?
   I love symmetrical things you can fold in half. Actually, I like folding anything, symmetrical or not, it's one of those little OCDish things about me, and probably a whole other blog post topic.
This person gets ALL the luck!

   I love sheets of paper folded in half because this gives you continued options for folding in quarters, eighths and so on. The best part is, everything lines up, another little OCDish thing about me!
   I also enjoy cutting or tearing things in half, putting those two halves over top of each other and then cutting them in half. And so on.
   I appreciate sporting events which are timed in halves and quarters, such as football and basketball. Hockey and baseball throw me off just a touch, for the same reason.
   Twins and quadruplets are good. Triplets and quintuplets, not so much.
   I always enjoy meeting someone's better half for the first time, although it would open up the conversation somewhat to be introduced to someone's better third.
Yes!
   Some things have half-lives. A half-life is the length of time something takes to decay to half of its original value and is a term mainly used in physics. My brain passed its half-life awhile back and my body is now catching up.
   Colloquially-speaking, adding a half to something exceptionalizes it. A vacation is a vacation unless it is a vacation and a half, in which case it was a wonderful vacation. Barring sarcasm, of course.
   So there you go, hopefully I've gone a little way toward demonstrating that there is a world of difference between the halves and the halve-nots. Here's hoping you half a wonderful day and save the rest til later! 
  
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment